10.23.2003

Suspense

Keeping the people at the edge of their seats seems to be the trend with the Presidentiables nowadays. Everybody knows about GMA's dramatic U-turn a couple of days back...today, I read the article on the deferral of Fernando Poe Jr.'s controversial "announcement" to All Souls Day (click here for the full story).

The suspense is just to much for me to take. I am anxious to know what his decision will be, but for reasons that don't even come close to being pro-FPJ. My discomfort stems from the fact that a part of me just knows that he will run...but in the name of everything that is holy, I hope and pray that this part of me is wrong. One would be foolish to think that there's just no chance in hell that he'll become President if ever he decides to campaign. If there's anything Erap's victory in '98 proved, it's that he who charms the masses and promotes himself as "one of them" in spite of the vast and obvious riches he has managed to amass, has the greatest advantage (and I can't emphasize this enough) in the political arena, especially in a country where a great steel wall divides the rich and the poor, and empty promises blind the majority of voters from the truth.

I hate it. I hate the Circus of Philippine polictics. I just wish that for a change, a truly deserving candidate wins the Presidency. "Deserving", of course, is such a relative term.