10.08.2003

Marc Silvestri

I wouldn't be worth calling a comic fan if Marc Silvestri wasn't on my list of favorite artists. Though I didn't really collect his works (Wolverine, Cyber Force, Darkness), I've always liked his art style. His and Jim Lee's art have had a huge influence on my style and on everyone else's (well, at least on those who have read or browsed through the aforementioned titles) during my early drawing days. They were practically the gods of comics back then. It was unfortunate though, that they had to retire and move to "greener pastures" (like heading their own respective production companies). They have been sorely missed ever since.

However, as every comic reader knows, Jim made a heck of a comeback last year with his run on DC Comics' Batman: Hush. It felt really good (and unreal) to see his art still as fantastic as before...in a Batman comic at that to top it all off. With the Hush story arc coming to an end recently, you'd think that would be the last we'll ever see of the well-loved Mr. Lee, but numerous sources have confirmed that he will be working on a Superman run very soon. The mere thought of how great this project is going to be is giving me goose bumps. I can't wait.

Inspired by Jim's dramatic return, Marc has decided to do a "Michael Jordan" and get back in the game. Fifteen years after his last stint with X-Men, Silvestri will officially come out of retirement to pencil for New X-Men in Grant Morrison's farewell run entitled Here Comes Tomorrow. "Set nearly two centuries in the future, the story reveals an entirely new team of X-Men (with some familiar faces) facing a global conflict. It’s not post-apocalyptic, as Silvestri explains, it’s set at the brink of the apocalypse. And it’s Morrison’s last word on the Phoenix."

According to recent news, it's supposed to be a story independent of regular X-continuity. I've never really been a fan of futuristic takes on my fave comics characters, possibly due to my traumatizing experience with Marvel's (horrible) 2099 series. I am, however, willing to gamble on this upcoming story arc. Besides, Grant Morrison's works are always a good buy. Just ask Jon or Ger.

Check out Newsarama for the full story and more of Marc's awesome sample pages.