9.12.2003

Frank Cho

This guy's art is just plain fantastic. If I'm going to start drawing again...I'm gonna learn to draw like him. Just look at the way he pencils! Not that I want to be a rip-off of the guy, it's just that I believe that his realistic-cartoony style is something I'm very much willing to explore, and a style I can probably be comfortable with and good at, too.

You know, using solid blacks in my drawings was something I never really learned how to do. It's probably just because it wasn't really my style. The closest I ever came to using blacks was in the Spawn pieces I did back in highschool (which I don't have a single clue where to find now). Those drawings were just copied from my old comics, of course. Actually, most of my highschool drawings were just copies. My own style didn't come until I joined The LaSallian in college, but that's another story for another day. Bottom line is, I'm going to learn to use solid blacks.

Women? I don't know squat about drawing women. Always has been my "Achilles' heel". Ask me to draw one and I'll beg you to let me use a reference. But this Cho guy? *whew* He is the man when it comes to drawing women. I am definitely going to learn to draw like that. Well, his other human characters are also nicely drawn and his animal characters are cute. But meyng, his women really take home the prize. Check out Frank's Official Website to see his other amazing works.