9.30.2003

Final Four

De La Salle bowed down to arch-rival Ateneo, 74-68 in a game that not only saw flying fists and bodies, but also a post-game brawl between former Blue Eagle Andrew Cruz and a dozen or so Archer fans. This is probably the first time in my more than 5 years of being an Archers fan that I'm thankful I was not in Araneta for this game. Unlike my die hard friends, I watched the very heated match in the comfort of Kimchi, a restaurant in the upper ground floor of our office building (well, it wasn't really comfortable since I was standing up, but what the hey).

It wasn't a bad game at all and I'm sure those who were able to witness the two teams duke it out will agree with me. Joseph Yeo, after a magnificent 30-point output in game one, exploded early in the game but was unable to call upon his late-game super powers and save the archers. Jerwin Gaco and Mark Benitez provided some much needed muscle in the paint but failed to dominate the post-game battle against Paolo Buguia and Rich Alvarez. Overall, La Salle played surprisingly well, despite missing the services of Mac "Give Me The Ball" Cardona. They would have had a good shot at the title this year. Unfortunately though for the rookie-laden archers, redemption will have to wait until next year.

Animo La Salle.