8.02.2004

Amazing Racer

My legs are killing me, but it was one hell of an experience.

Last Saturday, I had travelled with five other officemates to Tagaytay City for the 2004 ADSOC Adventure Quest, this half-day adventure race we had signed-up for a couple of weeks ago. I had never participated in an event like this before, so I figured this was a good time to try out something new.

A total of 10 teams, comprised of three members each (with at least one female member) had registered for the event and compete for the Php8,000 grand prize. Two teams came from our office. We had to find our way through 15 stops all over Tagaytay, completing challenge after challenge, testing our physical and mental abilities in ways I have never imagined. Think Amazing Race on a smaller scale.

A major highlight of the race was our team's climb from last place in the 8th checkpoint to 4th place in the 15th and final leg. Luck just seemed to be on our side all the way to the finish after a couple of bad breaks, one where we got lost trying to find the 7th checkpoint ("The fine-dining resto Tagaytay is known for") and a race marshall already had to give us the exact location (Antonio's). It sucked big time, but after Doni (my teammate) breezed through that checkpoint's challenge, it was all uphill from there.

It was the greatest feeling, coming back with a vengeance and overtaking those ahead of us one by one. We didn't finish first, but it sure felt like it. (The other team from our office, who reached as high as 1st place after the 6th leg, finished at 5th.)

Unfortunately, I have no photos of the event on hand...yet. But once they're available, I'll be sure to post them here.

Check back later. It's time for me to take a couple more pain killers.

No comments: