3.02.2004

Previously, on Nefville...

Movie Drought
For the first time this year, I have gone two weeks without watching a single movie in the cinema. Hopefully, this weekend will end the streak. I hear I'm missing out on a bunch of great flicks.

Banahaw Street 916F
The apartment is just about ready to live in. The previous weekends were spent mostly shopping around for the basics and scavenging surplus stuff from the Ferrer residence in Laguna. We're lacking a few key ingredients in the apartment recipe but nothing that can't wait 'til the coming weekend. I'll probably be moving in in the next two weeks. Pao, with most of his things already in place, had the opportunity for a dry run last Saturday (our contract officially starts on March 1). Amazingly, it was a lot "dryer" than expected...because there wasn't any water. A water outage was apparently scheduled on that day and the neighbors were kind enough NOT to inform us of this. Oh well, I guess the idea of two grown men moving in together is really bound to repel warm welcome into a neighborhood.

Super Ferry 15
Last Thursday, I tagged along with Pi aboard the Super Ferry 15 (the one that burned down was the Super Ferry 14) for the Philippine Marketing Association's Agora Youth Awards Night, where they honor the top Marketing Students in the country. Pi was a winner (the only one from La Salle) the previous year which would explain why we were their in the first place. This year saw the dominance of Lasallians in the field but that's another story. The highlight of the evening (other than it being my first time aboard an absolutely huge sea vessel, and the free food) was the speech given by Roselle Ambubuyog. She was Class Valedictorian of her elementary and high schools, and graduated Summa Cum Laude, majoring in Mathematics, from the Ateneo. She is currently taking up a Master's Degree in Actuarial Science at UP, with an invitation to work remotely as a consultant for a popular business firm in Florida. It's not so much her achievements that hit me but her disability. Roselle is completely blind.

To make the long story short, after hearing her, a lot of things were put into perspective for me that night. It is unfortunate though that I cannot find a transcript of her speech (which was completely off the top of her head, by the way). Hopefully someday soon. It's very inspiring and worth sharing.

Highway Star
Initial D and Need for Speed: Underground are my two prime addictions at the moment. They're good outlets for the speed freak in you.

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Last Sunday, I had to go the office to correct an application and regenerate some reports. Aside from the fact that the ventilation was turned off, there was dust all around. And lucky me, I just happen to be allergic to dust. By the end of the day, I couldn't stop sneezing and my eyes were really watery. When I woke up yesterday, I obviously wasn't in the best of shapes for work. Fortunately, my boss was kind enough to let me go on leave. There's a slight improvement in my condition today, though the sinus and the throat are still a bit bothersome. Here's hoping I fully recover in the next two days.