1.26.2004

The Weekend News

Samurai Showdown
I got to watch The Last Samurai twice over the weekend, so it's quite obvious that I've taken a tremendous liking for the film. The story for the most part, is good, but not something we haven't already seen before (think Michael Dudikoff or David Bradley given the A-movie treatment via Tom Cruise). What it lacks in originality though, it makes up for in its exquisite production design and heart-pumping battle scenes (my favorite being the gallant stand of the Samurai against the black Ninjas). If you happen to have a strong interest in, or at least find Japanese culture and traditions intriguing, you will most probably enjoy this movie.

I'm a sucker for most things eastern, especially martial arts and weaponry. Swordfighting, specifically with a Katana, is easily one of my greatest frustrations. But that is a story for another post.

Need for Speed
I've always seen the Initial D games in Timezone and Power Station, but I never really understood why all these people lined up for them.

Now, I do.

JC introduced me to the game last Sunday. In a way, you get to have the car you can't actually have in real life, like a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI for instance (unless, of course, you're filthy rich). The object is to earn as much points as you can by winning a bunch of races. As you reach certain levels of points, you can use these to upgrade your ride. Naturally, the more trekked out your road beast is, the greater the chances of letting the opponent eat your dust.

It can get pretty addictive once you're into it, so be prepared.

Pillsbury Doh! Boy
All it took was four tablespoons of water, an oven toaster, and 30 minutes to make my first ever batch of golden-brown, chewy, chocolate chip cookies (and I hear, to the satisfaction of my supreme overlord and her family). God is good for allowing man to invent the Instant Cookie Mix (plug plug)! God is good.