11.11.2004

In The Last Episode Of Nefville...

Truth be told, I was very tempted to just post some amusing picture I received thru email a few days ago. I, obviously, decided not to. For one thing, I didn't want to risk being called madaya (a cheat) by Zane again (which, I admit, is true...easy way out and all that). But more than that, I figured it was just a little too unfair to those who allot a small amount of their time to drop by regularly in the hopes of finding some decent updates. So, to my loyal fans, this post is for you.

The Tale of the Missing Nefmobile

My car was towed a couple of days ago. I had just gotten off from work when I saw that it wasn't where I had left it that morning. I always park in that area so I was surprised (and of course, furious) that my car was taken. That was at around a little after 7:00 PM and I was just about to fetch Pi from work. So I called her up and asked her to just have her Tito pick her up. You can imagine how bad my mood was by this time.

I asked the people around the vicinity for details, which was, of course, the most logical thing to do. The "witness" I had asked told me that my car was raked at around 4:00 PM, and that there was a central impound where towed cars in the Mandaluyong area are brought (lucky for me, it was fairly easy to get to).

"4:00 PM?!!", I had thought. If I was parked illegally, wouldn't my car have been taken earlier, like in the morning, already? That's when I started to just lose it. My hands were clenched into fists, my uni-brow at its uni-est...you'd think I was about ready to punch the first guy that passed by me in the face. I was majorly, majorly pissed.

So I made my way to the impound, which was located in front of Star Mall, along Shaw Boulevard. I had been rehearsing a few lines in my head that I thought I would use to defend my case. "If my parking was illegal, why didn't you tow it in the morning?!!" and "I always see cars parked at where I parked, how come you don't tow them?!!", lines like that.

The first sign that welcomes me at the impound writes "No one is above the law!" I start to calm down after reading it. Then I see my car, still in good condition. My heart rate begins normalizing. The guy in charge there brings out a piece of paper with my car details and starts briefing me on what had transpired. My parking space was legal...if I was there. I decide to use my "If my parking was illegal" line.

They did take my car in the morning. Around 9:30 AM. It was written on the paper...so clear even a 1st grade student could have read it for me.

I'm a lot calmer by this time (not to mention ashamed) so I just proceed to ask what my violation was. Apparently, the rear end of my car was just beyond the legal parking line (which I failed to see). This line marks the point where a car, if parked beyond the said line, poses as an obstruction to large and long vehicles turning into the street. I didn't bother using my "I always see cars" line. It was pointless. I was clearly in the wrong and it was only fair to face the consequences of my negligence. The penalty would have been a whopping 1,500 pesos. But Mr. Impound Guy decides to give me a discount and takes 500 pesos off the fee.

The funny thing about all this is I left the impound not feeling as bad as I initially thought I would. Which is a good thing I guess. It's weird what the Universe does to your sense of humor sometimes.

No comments: